Thursday, February 21, 2013

Oldboy Review




Oldboy is a South Korean mystery thriller film that is loosely based on the Japanese manga Oldboy (Nobuaki Minegishi and Garon Tsuchiya). It is the second film in Park Chan-wook's Vengeance Trilogy (preceded by Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance and followed by Sympathy for Lady Vengeance). 
It follows the story of Oh Dae-su who has been locked in a hotel room for 15 years without knowing the motive of his captor/s. When he finally gets out, he finds himself still trapped in this nightmare and sets out on a quest for vengeance

This is one of the most intense movies you will most likely ever see. It is breathtaking, brutal, and is not only one of the best revenge films, but easily one of the best films ever made. The acting is amazing and while everyone did an amazing job, Choi as the main protagonist Dae-su, stole the show with his powerful and emotional performance. Park (director) gives this movie a very dark bleak look. It reminded me a lot of a David Fincher film. It contains one of the best and my favorite fight scenes in any movie. 

If you can't handle extremely strong violence, torture, sex, language, and subtitles, I suggest you stay far far away from Oldboy. If you can deal with all of that I suggest you watch it. It's an incredible movie with some of the best performances, a moving score, and some great twists. 


5/5

(Trailer and fight scene)






With my review done let me talk about what I think about the remake. I am a huge fan of Josh Brolin and while I like some of Spike Lee's movies I do not think he is the director to do such a film. Like I said in my review this movie reminded me of a David Fincher film and I honestly think he would be the perfect director, and really the only director to film the remake and do the original justice. That being said I think this is one of those films that should really not be touched with a remake. Lee will most likely change what made this movie so great and turn it into a watered down Hollywood piece of trash. I will still check it out to see if I was wrong, but I am not hopeful. 

No comments:

Post a Comment